Monday, August 16, 2010

How do you guys deal with being gay at the workforce?

Are you guys out at the work also or are you in the closet because you don't want to be fired for your sexuality? My coworkers always talk to me about girls and always point out girls that look good and it's really awkward for me. I don't want to come out to them because I know that it would probably be over for me at my job if I do. How do you guys deal with it?How do you guys deal with being gay at the workforce?
Ha. It is hella awkward being gay at work. I can't get fired at my job for being a lesbian (said so on my application), but I haven't said anything about it. Part of it is because I work at Taco Bell and I'm the youngest person there and I work with a lot of people who barely speak English, and everyone there kind of babies me. It would be like telling my extended family that I'm gay, which I probably wouldn't do. Plus I don't really think it's anyone's business.





However I kind of wish they would just figure it out themselves and not mention it because it's really uncomfortable to be constantly asked if I have a boyfriend. I always say no yet they keep asking. 'cept my idiot (male) manager finally figured it out the other day, and turns out that was even more uncomfortable than being interrogated about my 'boyfriend'. All these questions about if I was the guy or the girl and everytime I mention a female friend he says 'a friend or a GIRLFRIEND' and I'm like jeez. Can't I just have friends? XD He did it before he knew too, but with dudes.





My taco bell is like a soap opera sometimes. No one can just mind their own business and make tacos.How do you guys deal with being gay at the workforce?
I was in the closet at my first 2 job. I was never in a position to have deal with guys talking about girls, so it wasn't too hard. I'm back in school now, and plan to be out of the closet in my next job. I live in San Francisco, so I don't expect that to be too hard nowadays.
I'm sorry that you are in such a situation......however, unless you can find a job where they will let you be you....... (are you sure they would fire you, I mean is that even legal) ......you might have to just accept and adjust. It would be nice if everyone would live by the Golden Rule, but I guess we aren't there yet. Good Luck, I really wish you the best.....oh, btw I'm straight....but I do empathize with your situation and good jobs are hard to find!!!!!
I'm in the closet at work - not because I think I'll get fired so much as I just can't stand the quips you inevitably get from straight guys working in a technical field. I swear, straight guys bring up a guy being gay ten times more than gay guys ever will.
I am out to my current boss and that is about it. Earlier in my career, I worked in a different office and I was out. When I transferred offices I was technically back in and didn't really think about going around and telling a whole new set of people. Then I transferred again, and I guess I am back in the closet. People who knew me from my old office think of me as the gay secretary who used to work for them. People in my current office think of me as one of the bosses who just works too hard to have found a wife. I am not deceiving anyone (I don't make up stories about girlfriends) and would not lie if someone asked me and would correct someone who wanted to know when I was getting married. But honestly, it doesn't come up. I don't care who knows and oddly I don't think I'd be fired or miss a promotion. People probably know, but I don't care. It's not their business.
Ive always hid my sexuality at work. Its none of their business and i think it would affect me negatively.

No comments:

Post a Comment