Saturday, August 21, 2010

How do you deal with racism? Or are you racist?

It saddens me to hear all these racist remarks on the different races. Sometimes they are targeted at me. I'm a Singaporean Chinese but people seem to think that I'm from China...how do you guys deal with racism? I find it utterly ludicrous, a waste of time, and it makes the world go 'down'.How do you deal with racism? Or are you racist?
If you want to see racism at it's worst, take a look at the cricket section in Sports. Every question has a racist undertone to it.





I used to report the racist questions %26amp; answers, but now, I've given up as the Y!A mods don't seem to care much about what goes on in that section.How do you deal with racism? Or are you racist?
The sad truth is that it will never go away, unless people are motivated to. However, that is also unlikely to happen.





I agree with you. The only advice I can give you is to educate. People probably don't have a clue what the difference is from singaporean chinese to just 'chinese'. So give them the benefit of the doubt. Asians are generally pretty similar, especially to Caucasians.
Racism is pervasive in America. I have to say, that if you are a minority in the US then you need some type of tenacity to deal with it. At one time, a few decades ago, you would travel from the north to the south knowing that you are going to deal with some extreme racism. Now if you lived in the south for at least 5-10 years and decide to move north, the mason-dixon line is the catalyst in which takes you from a ';tolerable prejudiced'; in the south where you can work no matter what color you are as long as you are qualified and not lazy, to ';hatred'; in the North...where if you smile the entire interview and are overqualified with your credentials, and if you are a non-threatning woman...and Affirmative Action have been on the company's back, you MIGHT be considered an offer of minimum wage with an option to be called N****R for the first time in your life! Yes you had to move from the south to the north to experience it! So I say be careful because you do not want to develop a ';chip on your shoulder'; or ';axe to grind'; or ';they're BAD NEWS'; stamp! It is just best to do you, educate yourself, and make your own paper and laugh at them...I reported a little over quarter million revenue with about 180k of that being profits...sooooooo you get the picture! Do You!
i get racist remarks too, but its not really your typical kind of racism. im 3/4 japanese 1/4 caucasian, but i get told by alot of chinese/people from chinese colonies that i dont have the right to call myself japanese because im 'contaminated with western blood'. i was born and raised in japan and i only know my japanese family, yet because of my western blood im stripped of being able to identify myself with my culture. the thing is, these people are only saying these things because they are jealous of japanese culture and im an easy target. i came to new zealand to study, and i suffered a year and a half of these awful comments, like 'you dont even look japanese', 'people like you are the real japanese-wannabes'.





i agree. just when we think that we've made some huge progress by electing a black president, we need to solve the smaller issues of racism in everyday life.
No, I am not racist. But, sometimes there's nothing you can do but, ignore them. So just ignore them they are immature anyways if they are making racist comments. I have to admit there are still alot of racist people out there. But, like I said all we can do is ignore them.
I try to ignore it, its a sh*ty solution but sadly everyone is entitled to their own opinions.. as bias, racist or sexist as they may be.


I am personally not racist in the slightest. I think its pathetic that some people will only see people for the color of their skin, or what culture they come from and not for the human being they are. What difference does it make if someones purple, blue, yellow, white, black or tan?
I'm white so Ive never really had a problem with being the target of racism. I'm not racist myself I especially have no problem with Chinese or Singaporeans but I must admit I do have some prejudice towards the more violent ethnic groups in my area
Ignore it.





Racists are ignorant, close-minded jerks.
i threat people the same no matter where they are from or their colour, if they are rude or abusive i avoid them, if they are warm and welcoming i greet them
I ignore it.

No comments:

Post a Comment